Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lambing Time!





Opportunities to write have been few and far between. Last Wednesday our sheep began to lamb. Our first born was a dear little ram lamb born to one of our most perfect ewes, Charlotte. She is a good mother and keeps excellent watch of her baby.

Each night I separate all the expectant ewes in to a hallway full of straw where they sleep safely and have plenty of room in case they deliver.

In January my family and I built and prepared separate little gaols (the American word is "jug" but I prefer the British term for lambing pen.) Each day these pens have to be cleaned well, scraping down to bare earth and refilling with clean straw.

I check everyone at midnight and then again between 6 and 7 am. The morning after Charlotte delivered I went into the barn and saw what seemed to be babies everywhere! Two ewes had just delivered and were licking their babies off and "maaa-ing" softly. I struggled to get everyone separated. The first step was to get the babies out of the way of 40 stomping hooves -10 hungry ewes happy to see me and running to me for breakfast! I pulled off my jumper (now I was wearing only my woolen long johns -and was immensely thankful for my private piece of property!) and bundled both sets of twins into it. I ran from ewe to ewe looking at their backsides and trying to determine which had the evident physical signs of a recent delivery. This was harder than it sounds because, as I said, these gals were following me closely for their food. The loud baa's from the confused new mothers made my job a bit easier and they finally followed me dutifully into a smaller pen. I put their lambs down, hurried out to feed the rest of the flock, turned them out to pasture and returned to tend the mothers and their young. Mamas received warm water with molasses in it, a scoop of feed and some alfalfa hay. Babies (a set of ewe twins and another set of ram and ewe) were dried off and their umbilical cords cut and dipped in betadine. Shepherdess received a very strong cup of tea and a gluten free scone with approximately half a stick of butter on it!

Next to lamb was my lovely Bronte. She is one of the most personable ewes I own, always nuzzling me and coming up to see what I am doing. Bronte delivered a ewe lamb and a ram lamb with ease. She nursed well and was a wonderful mother, but showed signs of listlessness after a few hours. I administered some pain killer and that seemed to restore her appetite, but when it waned again, I made a gypsy concoction of dandelion, ivy and raspberry leaves. This did the trick and I ended up dosing her with it several times over the next few days. I could tell that her babies were not gaining weight as they should and made the decision to give them supplemental bottles of fresh goat's milk 3 times a day. This can be very tiring! However, at midnight when one wants to be in one's nightgown and not in wellies and a sweater, it is gratifying to have such tiny creatures jump for joy and race to greet you.

I was given a day of reprieve and then the lambing began again. One of our Tunis ewes, Jane, delivered a single healthy ewe lamb with the sweetest little golden face. It was an easy birth and Jane has lots of milk to give her strong little babe.

That afternoon as I struggled with separating cream from 6 gallons of goat's milk, I looked out of the window into the pasture to see one of my mamas (Agatha) scraping in the grass and lying down and then getting up again. I knew the signs of labor, but figured I had little while before I had to get her into her pen. Besides, she would surely head to the barn and away from the horses herself when the time drew near. I just needed 15 minutes. The temperatures of both the cream separator and the milk have to be perfect. I had assembled all the children - one to hold the cream jar, another to refill the holding bowl with whole milk, another to empty the skimmed bowl and yet another to hold the thing steady while I cranked!

As soon as we were done I washed my hands and prepared to don jacket and hat. Too late! I could see out of the window above the sink that Agatha had delivered one baby already. I rushed out in my apron and clogs, in the freezing rain to grab the baby, shoo away ponies and lead mama to safety. By the time I had reached her she had delivered another lamb and was running around scared to death and wondering what was happening to her. She hadn't a clue. I ran to the barn, over 200 yards away with the lambs in my apron. I was sure she would follow her crying offspring, as all her predecessors had done. The poor things were now completely drenched and cold, as was their protector. I dried the lambs in a pen of their own and covered them with straw. I took a bucket of grain and tried to get the new mother to come in, but she would not leave the spot where her babies had been born. I made a third attempt by bringing one of the lambs back out to the field in the hope that if she saw it again, she would then follow. In tears, I returned the freezing lamb to its sibling. After my family saw my predicament, they came out and we managed to chase the sheep into the barn and finally to the pen where her lambs lay. Exhausted, I made a mental note to refrain from breeding this particular ewe ever again.

A few days reprieve again and our black ewe, Cassandra, delivered our first night time lambs. Born just after the midnight check, these two jet black twins were as hale and hearty as the rest. My first black lambs!! I have yet to think of excellent literary names for them, but Inky and Midnight have been rejected!

The day following Cassandra, Emily, another Tunis, had a lovely big girl. and then two days later, Mary delivered a jet black ewe lamb just like herself and little white ewe lamb.

One more mama to go and we will be done. There is "no room left in the Inn" as we also had two sets of triplet goat births between all of the sheep births!

This is definitely the hardest time of year for me. Harvest and Christmas seem like a comparative breeze. Not only is it the lambs and kids being born, but all the extra care required for each mother and her baby. Mineral supplements, weighing the lambs to make sure they are gaining and eating properly, checking udders, etc. Stalls and goals are cleaned and buckets washed and refilled. At night we have to lock everyone in with windows and doors shut tight. The extra manouvering and separating is mandatory ever since I encountered a coyote in my front yard enjoying his venison.

Inside the cabin, over 4000 seedlings and 150 chicks need constant care. The peeps need clean cages, temperature control, food and water refills twice daily.

All around me are living things desperate for nurturing, TLC and constant monitoring.

I am thankful for a patient family who indulge me and help me while I pursue this crazy life!



3 comments:

Amy said...

Words spoken from a true shepherdess...congratulations on all the lamb babies. A beautiful tale of true words from the hardest working woman I know!

sandy connors said...

I just discovered your wonderful site and have been taken with you and your lovely children and the inspiring life you lead....I am sending a link to all my friends who have sheep as I know they, too, will enjoy your experiences and your beautiful spirit! I look forward to buying some of the soap you make, named after one of my favorite women, Tasha Tudor, who has influenced us all. From Sandy Connors

tana50 said...

What a wonderful post! You and the family certainly sound busy. What a beautiful farm you must have! I am looking forward to hearing all about the days to come.