Thursday, April 29, 2010

Hearthside Babies Go To Church!


Last Sunday was Good Shepherd Sunday at our church, Old Donation Episcopal.
For the past four years, we have brought lambs to church to illustrate the way that a lamb will follow the shepherd's voice, not that of a stranger, thereby illustrating the importance of following Jesus' voice.
The day started at 6:30 with a goats' milk soap bath followed by a grand drying off. We took plenty of bottles and food and hay -I felt as if I had babies and diaper bags again!
This year we took Jefferson and Hamilton with us, Hamilton going with the younger three of my children to the Gathering, which is an informal service we have and Jefferson accompanying Ainslie and I to the more formal service in the "big church."
Sometimes the homily works and the lamb refuses to follow the priest and will only follow me. Sometimes it is less than perfect and the lamb refuses to follow any one. That in itself is a valuable lesson!
Last Sunday, Jefferson behaved perfectly and followed me like he was my own child. He did however, take quite a liking to Father Bob and stayed very close for the rest of the sermon! He thrilled the congregation by Baaing at precious intervals and was on hand in the front row to be patted and rubbed as parishioners came up for communion.
I have attached a link to the flickr site established by our church in case any of you are interested in seeing the day's events.

No comments: